Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Owen's Fourth Birthday

On February 11th Owen turned 4! He had been counting down the days and was so excited when it was finally his birthday. We decorated the house after he went to bed the night before so he woke up to balloons, signs and even writing on the mirror in the bathroom. Unfortunately, his actual birthday was not very exciting. I am mean and took him to the doctor to have the scar on his forehead check out. Ever since it started healing it had a little white thing hanging out of it. We waited several weeks thinking it would go away on it's own. When it didn't disappear I decided to have the doctor check it out. It turns out that the white thing hanging out is one of the stitches they put in under his skin that was supposed to have dissolved. The doctor was little baffled as to why it hadn't dissolved. So she clipped it close to the skin and we are going to watch it and hope it either comes out on it's own or the scar will heal over it.

Anyway, after going to the doctor we pretty much just hung around the house all day. Since it is tax season Robby didn't get home until almost 8. But we figured we should probably do something so we took him to his all-time favorite restaurant, The Spaghetti Factory. We pretty much closed the place up and our poor waiter and to find the few remaining waiters to come and sing "Happy Birthday" to Owen. When we got home Owen opened a couple of presents: a Chick Hicks hauler, new Lightning McQueen slippers, and a BYU basketball jersey and shorts.

To make up for the not so great birthday, I made his favorite dinner of chicken pillows, mashed potatoes, and asparagus, the next night. And yes he really does love asparagus, as well as broccoli, green beans, corn and artichokes.

On Friday night we had all of Robby's family over for a birthday party. I spent all day working on his Pirate Ship birthday cake. But if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty awesome! And yes, the pirate ship and island are both made (almost) entirely of cake.


Here is Owen blowing out his candles with Payton, Mayce, Fallyn, and Scotty.


Just for fun, here are some pictures of Owen's past birthdays.





I keep telling myself I need to stop making the crazy cakes because its going to come back and bite me when I don't do it for all of my kids birthdays. You know, "Owen is the oldest. You love him more than me! You never made me a special birthday cake!" But deep down inside I really enjoy making the cakes. I just wish we didn't have to cut them up and destroy them so quickly!

2 comments:

..Kris Naven.. said...

Happy Birthday Owen! Even though we haven't seen you guys forever, I remembered it was Owen's birthday, and Ican't believe he is already 4!!! He is getting so big! That cake is awesome, and the other ones you have made too! You are so talented! I'm glad you guys had a good time, and Happy Birthday again to Owen!

THE TAYLORS said...

yay Owen! So grown up. It was fun to see his past birthdays as well as his cakes. I have to agree... it's fun making the cakes only I don't mind them getting cut into. That might have something to do with the fact that I can't stand cake and frosting. Ewww, gross!! But yeah, way to go on the cake. Very cute idea :) Thanks for letting us hang out with you here and there... its makes this time of year go by so much easier.